About Me

Monday, June 25, 2012

Classroom Tour



 Today I am going to give you a fun little tour of my classroom. Last August thanks to budget negotiations, I wasn't actually "officially" informed that I was hired until the third day of school (yikes!). Needless to say, there was a little bit of wing and a prayer scrambling for this perfectionist who wanted her room to be fun and inviting. As a brand new college graduate, my head was stuffed with lesson plans and Bloom's Taxonomy.....and a little lacking in decorating experience. Thankfully, I have some awesome fellow teachers at my school who offered lots of assistance.

The first big challenge for me was picking a theme. I wandered through my local Schoolbox and found some adorable bulletin board star borders. One thing followed another and I wound up with a Hollywood Star themed room. It's not extravagant, but it's adorable and it made me happy. These pictures were taken at the beginning of the year. By May I will admit it was slightly less tidy and the walls were much more crammed with fun things! Here are a few of my favorite parts:


 
We started out the year in pods.


My hall display wall!


 I use clothespins with the students' names and lunch numbers for the first few weeks of school. They stop by the "concession stand" to retrieve their clip and pin it to their shirt. It helps speed up the lunch line...and hey, when you have a twenty-five minute lunch, streamlining processes is a must!




You can get these adorable plastic popcorn boxes at the Dollar Store! I use the boxes for fresh and broken pencils. Works like a charm.


. My word wall, pre-words. It gets so full by the end of the year, that the t's start sneaking in under s, r, u, AND v....

And one of my favorite little touches, my red curtain over the tv. We don't have Promethean Boards in our first grade yet, so this is where the action happens. This simple little curtain took about sixteen million failures and quite a lot of string and prayers to make it stay in a cute arrangement. I love it! 

 I hope you enjoyed the tour! Today's agenda? Moving all of this cute stuff into a new classroom two doors down. Wish me luck!

Signing out,
Emily


 

7 comments:

  1. Cute! How many kids did you have this past year? We didn't have prometheum boards at my school, either-- trusty old TV, VCR, and a [sometimes working] projector. Ah, well! Have you settled on a theme for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily - cute set up...just found you. Your class looks so big. We are going up to 30 next year and I have a small classroom :o( Been spoiled with 20 for 16 years. I have some cute Hollywood ideas on my class website if you want to check them out.
    http://www.vickymoore2.com/open.cfm?subpage=582279
    Glad I stopped in.
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mel - I was super lucky...I only had 17 kiddos last year. And rumor is that we will have prometheum boards this year...fingers crossed. As far as theme goes, right now the theme is "organize the natural disaster created by switching rooms." We'll see if I have time to create a new theme. I liked last years!

    @Vicky - Nice to meet you! Your room is so cute...I love the blue bulletin board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the curtain for your tv. I love your theme! Lol! My room is probably pretty scary right now too! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute room!

    I'm going to post a link to your great blog on mine. Gotta share the cute classroom decor you have!

    - Elizabeth
    http://firstyearinthe3rdgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the red curtain on your T.V.!! So fun. Hope you get an ActivBoard soon! I had one at my old school and loved it.

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Megan!I just got "upgraded" to a bigger room, so maybe I'll get an extra plus and get the Promethean board this year too. =)

    ~Emily
    Polish the Stars: A First Grade Blog

    ReplyDelete