About Me

Friday, June 22, 2012

Howdy neighbors!


Howdy neighbors! 

   For those of you who have ever added inconsequential items to a task list just so you could immediately cross them off in satisfaction (admit it....if you're a girl you've done it at least once), starting this blog is for me one of those items that never seems to be crossed off my lists. Instead, it gets dutifully copied onto fresh "to do" lists until I start to wonder why I bother. Today I finally get to cross it off for the first time and hope it sticks!

I am currently going into my second year of teaching first grade at a little public school in the hills of Tennessee, and I absolutely LOVE it. The little kiddos know just how to tug on my heartstrings, and I feel so privileged to have the opportunity to work with them. 

This is hopefully going to be the place where I get to store my ramblings, ideas, stories, and creations as I teach in my first grade classroom. My goals are as follows: 

1) Network with other teachers and see what treasures they have to share.

2) Refine my technological skills and do some sharing of my own.

3) Insert random stories and pictures ..... Because let's face it, as a teacher there are some memories that you just don't want to forget......like my little boy who spent three serious minutes describing in perfect detail his questionable bowel movement, but was mortified when I asked him to speak a little louder than a whisper because "there are GIRLS in here."  Or the little girl who wrote in response to one daily journal prompt, "The only wild animal that I have seen is a man." Most of the time the kids are blissfully oblivious to why their teacher giggles so much!

I will conclude this first blog post with one final anecdote...possibly the sweetest thing I have been told by a student and the reason I am a teacher.

One day towards the end of this past school year, two of my more struggling students did a super job on their assignments at the end of a good day, and I was happily making a big deal out of it. I dramatically told the kids, 'I have such a SMART class. I'm so proud of you guys...how did I get so lucky?? Where did all of these smart kids come from?!"

One of my shy little girls answered me, "I know why, Mrs. Johnson. It's because of you."

I have the best job in the world.

Signing out,
Emily






6 comments:

  1. Hi Emily!

    I love the name of your blog! I agree that our kiddos either have us giggling or saying to ourselves "awwwwww".

    Welcome to blogging. I hope you love it as much as I do. Be sure and add a followers button so I can follow you the next time I come to visit. Let me know if you need help. =)

    I would love for you to come and visit me when you get the chance. I just shared lots of *freebies*! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. The button is created! The coding end of this is very new to me, so it took a couple of goes. I'll be sure to visit you site, Heather! Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute button. I had to pay someone to make mine! =)

    You need the followers button. Go to design at the top and then choose layout. Click on add a gadget and the followers should be the 9th choice.

    I hope this helps...who know blogging could be so complicated! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute picture! Glad to see your little ones! :-)

    - Elizabeth
    http://firstyearinthe3rdgrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Heather - Yay! Could I ask you how you stumbled across my blog? I love some of the things you have on yours!

    @Elizabeth - Your blog is so cute! Glad to see things are going well with your classroom.

    ReplyDelete